A deicer is mainly a device that sprays substances such as rock salt or ethylene glycol, in order to melt existing ice or prevent the formation of ice in the future on the sides or roads, windshields and even aircraft wings.
It is no secret that many countries are victim to heavy snowfalls, such as Canada, the United States, and other countries in the northern hemisphere.
Ice can difficult to remove as well. You may need to wake up an hour or two before actually leaving for work or school etc just to clean your driveway and car. This is a long and tedious task if done by a simple shovel and labor, which might even result in windshield scratches.
You can buy a deicer or you can make one! All you need is rubbing alcohol and water!
How to Make Rubbing Alcohol Deicer
This is not expensive, effective, and is also very easy to create. It only requires basic supplies that can be found in home, and does not take a lot of time to create. It is also very cheap as the rubbing alcohol is cheap and readily available.
For this method, you will need the following tools:
- A spray bottle
- A cloth rag
- Isopropyl rubbing alcohol
- Dishwasher detergent
- Scraper (optional)
Almost all of these tools can be found at home, except the isopropyl rubbing alcohol, which can be easily purchased from the local store. It is extremely cheap and readily available. A spray bottle may also be purchased from a local store if it is not available at home.
There are a few steps to follow when addressing the question as to how to make rubbing alcohol deicer, they are:
- Fill the spray bottle with two parts of rubbing alcohol and one part of water. Add a little dishwashing detergent and shake it well so that all the contents of the spray bottle mix well. You can also put a label on this spray bottle so it does not get mixed with any other liquids in the house.
- Spray the solution over your frozen windshield. Spray some of the mixture on your door locks as well in order to melt the ice off of them too. After this, wait a minute or two for the solution to melt the ice, and use the cloth rag to wipe off any excess softened snow.
- There may be instances when the ice is too thick to be removed with just a cloth rag after being sprayed with the deicer solution. On these occasions, it is best to use a scraper to scrape the snow off of the windshield.
- After cleaning your windshield with the deicer, turn your windshield wipers on in order to remove any excess snow and clean the windshield completely, looking brand new again.
If you also wish to keep your windshield wipers clean and snow-free, you can make another deicer, which will be a mixture of the isopropyl rubbing alcohol and the windshield wiper solution in the same ratio, and spray it when your windshield needs deicing and cleaning.
The following method is a great way to deice your windshield and car on cold wintery days, however it should be noted that it is not completely efficient at times. For example, in regions with high snowfall, the amount of snow accumulated on cars will also be intense.
This will lead to harsher methods in order to get rid of the thick layers of snow as the deicer solution, this will require using shovels to clear your driveways and using scrapers in order to scrape the ice off of your windshields.