Owning a car isn’t just about getting from Point A to Point B, it’s an extension of your personality. It can even feel like a temporary home while you’re driving. If you want your driving to be comfy and hassle-free, get these 30 must have car accessories.
30 Must Have Car Accessories:
Most of the accessories we chose below are less than $100, but if not, we indicate how much they cost. You probably don’t need every single one of them, but over time, you can build up the accessories you use and get all of them.
For those times when your car won’t start because of battery problems. This is particularly useful during the cold season, and for older cars that may have weak batteries. Older cars also don’t automatically turn off your headlights when you turn the engine off.
The good thing is, a lot of jump starters now have additional accessories that will let you include other accessories listed below. Saving money and getting extra perks is always good!
Check out our list of the best jump starters here.
- PROFORMER battery technology is designed to provide extremely high power output, extended cranking power and a long service life
- Extra-long 68" cables, Industrial grade Hot Jaw clamps.12 feet coiled air hose with screw-on chuck
- For protective cover, see model no. JNCCVRXL. NOTE: Refer user manual before use
- Voltmeter provides charge status of onboard battery
You may be a careful driver, but not every driver on the road is careful. To help you capture what happens in an accident, get a dashboard camera. You can even have fun with it and record the beautiful landscape that you pass by if you have a long drive. Check out our page on the Best Dash cam reviews here.
- DISCREET DESIGN: Signature low-profile design allows the V1 to be a well-hidden witness to the road ahead.
- FULL HD RECORDING: Sony Exmor IMX323 image sensor captures beautiful Full HD 1080p video @ 30fps. WIDE DYNAMIC RANGE allows the camera to perform optimally in any lighting situation by adjusting...
- 170 DEGREE ULTRA WIDE ANGLE LENS: The 7-layer glass lens opens up to capture a sweeping view of its surroundings.
- LOOP RECORDING: Recorded video is split into 3, 5, or 10 minute segments. When memory card full, new recordings will automatically overwrite the oldest segments. Supports high-endurance micro SD...
- ACCIDENT AUTO-DETECTION (G-SENSOR): When the built-in gravity sensor detects a collision, the current video is locked, ensuring important footage is kept protected. Locked video will be kept safe...
Blind Spot Mirrors
You ever looked at your side mirror and thought that there was no car beside you, then when you started to turn to the side, you hear a loud honk?
Every mirror has a blind spot. That could lead to accidents if you do not double check. A lot of newer car models now address that with side mirrors that let you see cars beside you. If your car doesn’t have that feature, then it’s best to invest on blind spot mirrors. Best thing is, they cost less than $5 on Amazon.
- 2 inch for use on cars, RVs and vans
- Provides wide angle view
- Pressure-sensitive tape installation
- Pack of 2
- 360 degree adjustable
Whether your car is new or beat up, sooner or later, you will experience having a flat tire. To change it, you’ll need a hydraulic jack. Better have one in your car because asking for help from strangers would not be easy, and it would cost a lot to call roadside assistance (unless, of course your insurance covers it).
When you got one of these jacks, practice removing and putting one of the wheels of your car so you won’t be spending an hour just trying to figure out where to put the jack and how to remove and put a tire onto your car.
- 360 degree Swivel Saddle For Solid Load Contact
- Lightweight For Fast Positioning and Maneuverability
- Heavy Gauge SteelFrameProvides Strength and Durability
- Rust Resistant Finish For Long Life
- Range 5-13 in
Car Tool Set
Your hydraulic jack would be useless unless you have the tools needed for your car. You may also want to keep these tools for minor repairs you feel comfortable doing yourself. These tools aren’t very expensive either. The Apollo 56-piece Auto Tool Kit costs about $20 on Amazon.
- HANDY AUTO TOOL KIT: Small, compact, fits anywhere, but contains the essential tools for your vehicles' emergency repair, including most used 1/4" and 3/8" sockets, hex keys, voltage tester, slip...
- COMPACT ZIPPER CASE: The tools hold in place with elastic straps making them easy to store and easy to find. The case is small enough to fit in larger glove compartment, a backpack, a motorcycle...
- The GIFT OF SAFETY: The competitive price of our 56-piece Auto Tool Kit makes it a fantastic gift for family members and friends. Parents like to give it to their kids when they drive their first...
- APOLLO HAND TOOL LIFETIME QUALITY GUARANTEE: Tools are manufactured from high-grade steel alloy, chrome plated to resist corrosion, with non-slip comfort grip handles for extra torque, and will...
- METRIC OR SAE: This tool kit comes with either SAE sockets (Model DT9774) or with Metric sockets (Model 9775).
Digital Tire Gauge
One winter while on a long drive towards home, I noticed the Check Tire light come on. We needed to stop at a gas station to check the tires. The problem is, the Shell station we stopped at only had the analog tire gauge–you know the one that has a stick that pops up with some lines and numbers on it.
It wasn’t what I needed. So I had to drive around some more to finally fill up air at a station equipped with a digital tire gauge.
A tire gauge can help keep the correct air pressure on your tires. It’s not difficult to use either. You just plug it into the tire’s air pin and it would measure the pressure. Adjust as needed. The Tekton Digital Tire Gauge costs less than $10 on Amazon.
- Lighted nozzle and display screen for ultimate visibility in low light or at night
- Digital display instantly and clearly shows exact reading, eliminating the guesswork of analog gauges
- Nozzle seals to valve stem for quick and accurate measurements
- Simple push button control turns unit on, selects the desired range, and automatically shuts off after 30 seconds to save the batteries
- Ergonomic design comfortably fits hand and features a soft, non-slip surface for sure grip
I sometimes wonder how anybody could drive without GPS these days. Even if you know the route from your home to the office, you still need to check the traffic. If traffic is heavy, you’d probably go through an alternate route.
It’s also tedious to hold your phone in one hand while holding on to the steering wheel with the other hand. If you’re driving a manual transmission car, then that is virtually impossible!
- DASHBOARD PAD & SUCTION CUP: Includes a semi-permanent dashboard disc that applies directly to the dashboard. Place the suction cup directly on top of the dashboard disc for a smooth hold. ***...
- DASHBOARD MOUNTING: Before installation we recommend that both surface area and the product itself have a temperature above 40F. In addition, please let the dashboard pad sit for 30 minutes,...
- ADJUSTABLE VIEWING: The newly re-designed Telescopic Arm extends from 4.9" - 8.3" and pivots on 225° arc for a variety of optimal positions
- UNIVERSAL MOUNTING & EASY ONE TOUCH LOCK/RELEASE: Universally holds all phone and case combinations from 2.3" -3.5'" includes Easy One Touch mount locks and release system
- 1 YEAR HASSLE FREE : iOttie guarantees a hassle free 1 year on all products, contact customer support for assistance
Tissue Box Holder
One way or another, you’re bound to spill coffee, soda, or some other liquid on your car. Or if you’re in a relationship and some heart to heart talk gets out of hand, it would be great to easily reach out for Kleenex.
The Wanpool strap holder for Kleenex would work best. You can put the tissue box on your sun visor, on the headrest of your car, or even on top of the box between the driver and the passenger seat. The Wanpool strap holder costs about $12 on Amazon.
- Adjustable Elastic strap with two plastic-coated metal clips for in-car mounting of Tissue/Napkin boxes.
- Allows secure mounting of Tissue/Napkin boxes onto sun visors, headrests, baby's cot, etc.
- Boxes easily mounted in portrait or landscape orientation.
- Simple and practical.
No matter how powerful your smartphone is, it will still lose battery juice. Especially if you use it heavily for GPS navigation. I seriously hope you’re not texting or checking Facebook while driving, because you’re just inviting accident to happen. Being able to charge your phone while you’re driving will help you keep up with calls, text messages, and emails as soon as you arrive at your destination.
Fast charging USB car chargers are now available like the Quick Charge 3.0 Anker USB car charger. It’s a little more expensive than your usual USB car charger, though. It costs about $30, but totally worth it.
- The Anker Advantage: Join the 10 million+ powered by our leading technology.
- Fast-Charging Technology: PowerDrive+ 2 is powered by Quick Charge 3.0 and Quick Charge 2.0 with PowerIQ, guaranteeing possibly the fastest charge for any phone or tablet.
- Premium Design: One of the most compact 2-port car chargers on the market. Built with a premium zinc-alloy finish and an LED ring for low-light conditions.
- Certified Safe: Anker's MultiProtect safety system ensures complete protection for you and your devices (12V / 24V input voltage).
- What You Get: Anker PowerDrive+ 2 with Quick Charge 3.0, welcome guide, our worry-free 18-month warranty and friendly customer service.
It’s good to have a jump starter in your car, for those moments that it won’t start. But it would also be great if you had a jumper cable, so that when the jump starter is discharged, or if it doesn’t work, there is still a way for you to get your car started. I was once at Goodwill and a stranger asked me for help to get his car started. Thankfully he had a jump starter with him. So within 5 minutes, his car started and he was off.
- 5 Year Warranty!
- Patented design of inside tongue for double connection with battery terminal.
- Fits top and side post batteries. Luxurious carry bag for free. Twice grip design for better conductivity and tension.
- TPR material of cable, low temperature resistance (-25C/-13F). Sufficient CCA.
- UL listed and atamped. Idea for use with full size cars, mid-size pickup trucks and recreational vehicles.
First Aid Kit
No matter the season, you should have a first aid kit in your car. If you hurt yourself while out and about, or if you meet a minor accident, it is important to have something that can treat minor wound and bruises. And it’s not just for you, you can also help others in case they need help.
- AAA QUALITY: With the backing of the most trusted name in the automotive industry, you know you are getting only the highest quality safety products with this AAA branded 1st aid kit!
- ESSENTIAL SAFETY COMPONENTS: With 121 essential preparedness items; from an emergency whistle to simple bandages, this quality first aid kit will keep you ready to treat minor cuts and scrapes...
- PORTABLE: Our one of a kind hard shell foam carry case keeps your first aid supplies organized and is lightweight and compact enough to store easily in your auto glovebox, or your backpack for...
- ISO CERTIFIED: Lifeline First Aid, the exclusive licensee of the AAA brand for automotive first aid and safety product is ISO certified, so you know when you purchase our first aid kits you are...
- IDEAL MEDKIT: With over twenty years of experience building automotive safety and first aid product, you can rest assured that our kits are the ideal mix safety product.
Car Air Purifier and Ionizer
Different cities have different air quality. But if your sense of smell is sensitive and you are prone to allergy, get a plug in car air purifier and ionizer. It can also work wonders in getting rid of second hand smoke if you allow smoking inside your car. If you tried everything just to get rid of smoke smell, and there are still traces of it left, this might be the answer to your problem.
- Car Ionizer improving the air quality and removing unwanted smoke, odors, pollen,air propulsion, dust and more. Can help with: Allergic Bronchitis Allergic Sinusitis and Asthma
- Eliminates generation airborne bacteria by 99%, while providing the activation of the cells of the body and mental clarity.Can be used as car air freshener
- Fashionable Unique Design Car Air Purifier with 3,800,000pcs/cm3 Negative Ion
- Car Ionizer and ozone generator uses an electrical charge to produce stream of negative ions which then remove microscopic particles from the air, improving the air quality in your car.
- Product Certifications: CE (European conformity marking that indicates that the product it is affixed to complies with all relevant Europeanhealth safety and environmental protection...
Smart Driving Assistant
Did you ever have the Check Engine Light come on and you had no idea what it was about? The Smart Driving Assistant will help you figure these things out. Some issues on your car are best left to the professionals, but there are small things and tweaks you can do to troubleshoot your car and get it into shape.
The Smart Driving Assistant is not cheap, but it can help you save money on gas and maintenance because there’s an extra set of electronic eyes monitoring the car for you. It also comes with an app for your iPhone or Android device. The app provides information on gas prices and mechanics. It also monitors your trips and your driving habits for these trips (including hard brakes, sudden acceleration, and speeding). It will calculate how much gas you consumed for your driving tips.
Your trunk and even the interior of your car could easily become disorganized, cluttered, and messy. Bottles of different types of car spray, books, tools, and other things could contribute to the mess.
Contain the mess. Get a trunk organizer. The Road Pal trunk organizer costs about $20.
- NEW AND IMPROVED - We've only gone and made it better! The FORTEM AUTO TRUNK ORGANIZER is now even more durable and high quality, plus it now includes a lightweight, waterproof thin foldable...
- HIGH-QUALITY, MULTIPURPOSE DESIGN - This durable FORTEM organizer has three roomy compartments for you to organize important emergency equipment, tools, groceries, sporting goods, cleaning...
- PREMIUM, DURABLE MATERIAL - This AUTO TRUNK ORGANIZER is made of the highest quality, sturdy, durable material and will last you through years of use. It features premium walls, base plate, and...
- EASY TO USE AND INSTALL The days of a disorganized car are over! Just unfold the organizer, slide in the hardened base plates, attach the divider, and fill with any items you'd like. Thanks to...
- 100% SATISFACTION GUARANTEE- We are dedicated to providing our customers with the best possible shopping experience and stand behind all FORTEM products. Your purchase comes with a 30-day money...
In any season, a cooler is good to have in your car. During the summer, you can put some ice pack to cool your water, soda, or any liquid. They say it’s dangerous to drink from a plastic bottle if it sat in your hot car for an extended period. You can even get a travel cooler that you can plug in to your car. That’s like having a personal fridge inside your car!
- 10.5 liter capacity is equivalent to 12 twelve ounce cans
- 2 built-in cup holders, padded armrest, non-slip rubber pad, adjustable shoulder strap
- Cooling capacity is 35 to 40 degrees F below room temperature; can also heat up to 140 degrees F
- Operates via 12v DC cigarette lighter outlet in the vehicle
- Optional AC adapter (sold separately) is available for purchase for using this in additional places (home, office, hotel, dorm, etc.)
- Thermo-Electric System cools down to 40 Degree below ambient temperature and heats up to approximately 120 Degree
- Plugs directly into vehicle's or boat's 12 volt DC outlet or any other 12 volt power supply
- Rests on vehicle seat, tailgate, hatch or floor for easy access during travel
- Zippered side storage and accessory pouch
- Dual can/cup holder
Fix a Flat
If you need a quick solution if you ever find yourself with a flat tire, then Fix-a-Flat should come in handy. It can get you going within a few minutes. This can seal punctured areas for up to 3/16 inch in diameter. That’s a pretty big area it can fix for you. Fix a Flat costs less than $5 on Amazon.
Just a fair warning, though. Several reviews on the web say that this product could fix your tire so you could use it one last time. It may mean that you’ll need to buy a new tire after. But still, that might be cheaper compared to having to call and pay for roadside assistance and towing.
- Seals and inflates in seconds
- Hose top works on all wheels
- TPMS safe
- Easy and safe to use - non-flammable formula
- Easy cleanup with water
Seatbelt Cutter Window breaker tool
You may not be James Bond, but if you ever find yourself in a situation where you can’t get yourself out of your seatbelt and you badly need to get out of the car, a seatbelt cutter and window breaker tool will come in handy.
Accidents do happen, and sometimes, when you are in a serious one, your mind may become hazy, or the car is starting to catch fire, being able to reach for a tool to help you get out of the car will be make a big difference.
Keep one or two of this in an easy-to-reach location near the driver’s seat, and another one at the back seats. This two-pack IPOW car safety anti-skid hammer and seatbelt cutter costs about $12.
- A Window Breaking Hammer, double-sided head with hardened sharp Stainless Steel Points shatters vehicle windows and belts in an emergency.
- Mounting bracket included ,it hold safety hammer in place when the vehicle does not work until needed.
- Seat Belt Cutter with Safeguarded Razor Blade Cuts off Seat Belts,keep you safety.
- Fixed holder, so it will not fall even in a collision, but easily remove it from your car in an emergency.
- 2 PCS,share with your family or your friend.Note:Such use must beat the glass edge.
Emergency Roadside Assistance Kit
This roadside assistance kit may cover some important accessories and tools covered in this post. It may contain jumper cables, first aid kit, a multi-purpose tool, tire gauge, whistle, flashlight, emergency warning triangle, and a whole lot more. You can choose to have different tools, but the important thing is to cover the basics you’ll need in case of an emergency.
- ROAD ASSISTANCE: Be prepared for the unforeseeable with this AAA branded Roadside Emergency Kit, the ideal accessory for every driver on the road - from your seasoned driver to your new driver,...
- AAA QUALITY: With the backing of the most trusted name in the automotive industry, AAA, you know when you accessorize your vehicle with a AAA all in one auto kit that includes first aid...
- 76 ESSENTIAL COMPONENTS: This is top of the line road kit, and makes the perfect gift for your loved ones to keep them prepared. Contains essential auto toolkit items such as a screwdriver,...
- MULTI PURPOSE: Car kits are the essential accessory for a truck or car alike, and are especially important during the summer driving months during road trips, as well as winter driving when a...
- ORGANIZATION: Each road kit is packaged in a high quality bag to keep your emergency supplies organized during travel in your automobile. Unlike many of the cheap alternatives on the market,...
For long drives, you may strain your lower back and your neck by sitting still for several hours at the time. Help your neck handle the load through a neck support pillow. It costs less than $15 for a pair.
- Lithium technology provides strong suction and extended run time, 1.5AH
- Increased bowl capacity, washable bowl and filter
- Crevice tool for hard to reach areas and brush for upholstery
- Wide mouth design for large debris and cyclonic action helps keep the filter clean and suction strong
- Lightweight and portable design. 10 hrs, Power Rating : 10.8
To prevent the need to vacuum your car frequently, provide a litter basket or bin to gather wrappers and litter, and to minimize the mess inside your car. A litter basket for the car costs about $15. If you don’t want to shell out the money for this, you can be creative by getting a small crate from your garage and lining it with a plastic bag. The result will be the same.
- The DRIVE Bin As Seen On TV! You're going to absolutely love this Patent Pending best seller from Drive Auto Products. Why? Because we've done all the research on what buyers like or don't like...
- The idea of having a versatile container to help keep your vehicle clean and organized is smart. Many who now have one are saying things like "finally a place for my junk" or "helps keep my boat...
- ...BONUS 20-PACK LINERS: Water Proof 2 Gallon Thermal Rubbish Receptacle for Paper Mess, Fast Food, Empty Cups, Candy Wrappers on Floor Mats & Seat Covers, Reduce Smell w/ Non Messy Disposal for...
- ...BENEFITS: To keep it clean & odorless we include custom disposable interior plastic bags! And we added a mesh side pouch pocket to store them. Hang this automobile accessory anywhere with the...
- ...FEATURES: Patented Side Clasps to Secure Liners, a Pinning Feature, Hand Sewn Edges & Seams, Less Ripping, Stays Open, or Velcro Closed, Handy Storage Holder for Kids Toys, Color Matches Tan...
This will probably cost 0 dollars since you can get a blanket from your bedroom and designate it as a car blanket. This will be more important during the winter with the possibility of getting stuck somewhere cold. But it also doesn’t hurt to keep one in your car year-long. During the summer, it could be used as a mat when you go to the park, the lake, or any place where you need to sit down on the ground.
Type A Rearview Mirror
To ensure safety while driving, you should be able to see the cars and the road behind you. A Type A rearview mirror will help maximize your field of view. You can also choose to get one that functions as a dashcam, which will record what happens behind you. If somebody bumps you from behind, you will be able to see and keep a record of it.
- Black trim and flat wide style
- Clips onto existing mirror; 240F(240 millimeter Flat)
- 240 millimeter x 65 millimeter
- Reduces blind spots and glare
- Attachable mirror height 55-80 millimeter
Headlight Restoration Kit
Over time, your headlight might mist and become cloudy. That won’t be a problem if you drive your car mainly during the day. But during the winter when night time comes early, a cloudy headlight lens will reduce your visibility, and may become a safety hazard for you and anyone who rides with you.
- For use on headlights, taillights, fog, and directional lights
- Kit contains sanding discs and polishing pad with compound
- Saves 100s versus purchasing a new headlight
- Improves the appearance of a car - with "like new" headlights
- Restores cloudy and dull lenses
Steering Wheel desk
This is more of a luxury and optional accessory for your car. Who knows, maybe for Uber or Lyft drivers, this may be a necessity. If you find yourself waiting in your car a lot of time, having a steering wheel desk can help you work on your spreadsheets, documents, and other tasks on your laptop or tablet. Doing that while driving is unsafe and will probably get you in trouble.
- Very light to carry, but sturdy enough to support a laptop,lunch and notepad.
- Hook on your steering wheel, you will get an instant ergonomic desk.
- it can be Intended to mount on the steering wheel in seconds and can be stowed
- while not in use,The lightweight construction makes it easy to store in the back seat pocket .
- Size:28cm*42cm*2cm/11 inch*16.5 inch * 0.79 inch
In some countries, the government actually requires cars to be equipped with a fire extinguisher. Come to think of it, that is a good idea! A lot of accidents happen in the United States, and some of the cars involved in this actually catch fire, leading to fatalities and injuries that are easily preventable. If you had a fire extinguisher in your car, you can prevent fire in your car, and if you’re feeling like a good samaritan, you can also help other people by stopping and putting fires that start.
A 2.5-pound fire extinguisher costs about $20. Make sure that the product you buy is approved by the Coast Guard and by the DOT.
- MULTIPURPOSE PROTECTION: Fights Class A, B, and C fires and is is UL rated 1-A:10-B:C, suitable for use on most common household fires
- EASY TO READ: Gauge tells you when fire extinguisher is charged and ready for use
- EASY TO USE: Easy to pull safety pin and commercial grade metal valve & trigger
- LIGHT WEIGHT: Durable all metal construction. US Coast Guard approved
- CLEAR INSTRUCTION LABEL: Shows the steps required to operate the extinguisher
Newer car models already have built-in parking sensors. But for older cars, backing up into the wall of a parking garage may prove to be a challenge. If you’re not careful, you just might back up into the wall and cause some damage on your bumper. Or worse, if you try to do parallel parking, which by the way is a big challenge to a lot of drivers, you may end up damaging someone else’s car.
Get a parking sensor that will help you know if you are dangerously close to the wall or to another car. A parking sensor costs about $20 but you may need help in getting it installed.
- 100% Weatherproof
- Lights up
- Loud Beeping
- Makes parking a snap
- Easy to Install
This is very useful during the summer to help keep your car cool. Read this guide on more tips to keep your car cool during the summer. Since this vent is powered by solar energy, you won’t need to shell out more money for batteries. It costs about $10.
If you have a cooler inside your car, put a snack pack there for those times that you get stuck in your car because of traffic, accidents, and if you just want to make sure you don’t get hungry while driving for a long time. Energy bars, nuts, and other snacks that could last a long time should be perfect.
Having ropes inside your car can come in handy in case of emergencies. There are different types of ropes you can put in your trunk. A tow rope (which costs about $15 for the one with a 10,000-lb capacity), some bungee ropes for securing luggage, or anything you need to carry on the roof of your car; it may also be handy for those bigger items that will leave your trunk open while carrying them.
- 2 inch x 30 feet Yellow High Strength Polyester Strap
- 10,000Lb Break Strength Capacity - Actual Rated Capacity of webbing
- 5,000Lb Recommended Vehicle Weight - Safety Rating to accomodate for jerking, stuck vehicle, andle of tow, friction, etc.
- 3,300Lb Working Load Limit - Safety Rating Industry Standard 3:1 Ratio for lifting objects vertically
- Includes 2 forged safety hooks with retaining clips, ZINC coated finish on hooks offer three times more corrosion resistance
Let me be clear, you don’t need every single tool and accessory we mentioned in this article. Besides, it would be too expensive to buy them all at once. Just assess the kind of driving you do daily, and look at the potential emergencies you may experience on the roads you frequently travel on.
Of course, if you’re traveling cross-country, or do a summer road trip, you’ll need to look at more things than are included in the list above. If you’re traveling with your family, safety is your number one concern.